Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: My Kirsten does not say Pleasant Co

  1. #11
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My Jess and AGT26 both say American Girl, LLC. I couldn't care less, honestly. I guess I'd prefer the Pleasant Company from when I was a kid, but I don't really care either way.

    Can I ask a question, to those of you who have read the Little House books?

    I read the first one when I was little, Big Woods, I think? Didn't like it enough to read the others. In the TV show (which I loved!), Mary became blind later on during the series run. Did that happen in the books?

  2. #12
    Janie3082
    Guest Janie3082's Avatar

    Post

    Congratulations on getting Kirsten!! She is my first and favorite girl, and so sweet! I got her when I was 11 and I love her just as much now as I did when I was a little girl! She has the cutest collection IMO. I really enjoyed the Little House books too, I suppose that's why I chose Kirsten to be my first doll. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Yay! Enjoy your new girl!! I love hearing you all rave about Kirsten because people that got to AGP say that sometimes she gets pushed to the back of the store and has small displays. It's sad to see her "neglected" like that, so I'm glad she's loved here! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

  3. #13
    Janie3082
    Guest Janie3082's Avatar

    Post

    I think you and I posted at the same time, Cami. [img]smile.gif[/img]

    I only read the Little House books through the whole series one time, but I am pretty sure that Mary does become blind later on. Is it from a sickness? I didn't think the way the show wrote it was the way it was originally in the books. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

  4. #14
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think you and I posted at the same time, Cami.
    I only read the Little House books through the whole series one time, but I am pretty sure that Mary does become blind later on. Is it from a sickness? I didn't think the way the show wrote it was the way it was originally in the books.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You know, I can't remember how it happened on the show! I know I saw them all when I was little (like 6), but recently I've only seen random episodes on Hallmark (as 3castles posted) and TV Land, and saw one where she was blind, and I couldn't even remember how it happened! I asked my mom, and she couldn't remember either. She thought it might have been some illness.

    Anyway, thanks for responding. I was thinking that was a weird thing for them to make up, if it wasn't in the books and all. Honestly, I think it was a weird thing for them to carry onto the show. I'd guess ratings were going down and they wanted something "new."

  5. #15
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I LOVED the Little House TV series when I was young. One of the reasons I wanted Kirsten so badly when I was young was because of Laura. Then I grew up and read the books and can't watch the TV show anymore because they make NO attempts at being historically accurate, let alone true to Laura's real life or even books. Yes, Mary became blind from illness. The exact cause is not known but it is suggested that it could have been meningitis. Laura then became her sister's eyes and really took over the role of the oldest child in the family. She says describing for Mary taught her to be descriptive and I think it shows in her writing.

    A silver eye Kirsten could be blind Mary.

  6. #16
    Janie3082
    Guest Janie3082's Avatar

    Post

    I want to think that in the TV show, Mary becomes blind after getting lots of headaches close together. I remember her wearing her glasses a lot at one point and having to have lots of light for doing schoolwork, reading, sewing, etc. I don't remember her being sick though, it seems like it just happened all of a sudden.

  7. #17
    HB Forum Owner OSusannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    939
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mary's blindness was from scarlet fever. Of course I haven't read the books in a while, so someone will correct me if I'm mistaken. I never watched the series, even though I was the right age. We get it daily (without cable) and I still won't watch it, not sure why. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

    When I was younger "Little House in the Big Woods" was my favorite in the series and I remember being barely able to finish "The Long Winter" because I thought it was so dull. When I re-read the books a year or two ago, "The Long Winter" was my favorite...and DD thought it was boring!

    ETA Our Josefina and Jess are our only AG-marked dolls-even Elizabeth has PC. It's disappointing when I think about it so I try not to. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ March 06, 2006 12:28 PM: Message edited by: OSusannah ]</font>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •